Look Before You Leap

By Jerry533482


Chapter 13


            Melody slept soundly that night, not a dream at all. Just peaceful rest.

            That morning when she awoke she seemed more serene. She went to the dresser where the locket was still. Before she reached the furniture she wondered to herself; if this whole thing had been a bust. Sure she hadn't believed that last evening, but after their near-death experience, who could blame Ariel if she wanted to distance herself from the sea?

            Well I can hope for the best. As she lifted the shell a thought she never fathomed that could cross her mind did. Maybe mom was right all along.

            She set the shell down to look out her window one last time.

            I'm gonna have to change rooms when I get back. She thought to herself, detached by what had happened in here last night. As her gaze got higher and higher she realized the sun was rising.    Which, in turn, meant she had less than fifteen minutes to find that portal.

            She rushed back to the dresser, almost tearing the it apart in search of paper and something to write with. Once she finally found the supplies she left a letter; explaining she had to leave and melody's necklace was in this dresser. She also left her thanks, for having a great time with her friends here. She folded the sheet and set it down, then put the drawer back in place, along with the necklace.

            Hate to do this but I can't miss that bubble!

            Once she finished leaving her regards she immediately began for the hallway, before realizing the window would save her time.

            Gotta get out of the habit of doing this. She swam as fast as she could in the rough direction she recalled her arrival to be, trying to remember the exact spot along the way.

            Think think think. I remember seeing purple coral, and we were so close to the beach... She finally stopped after seeing the shoreline was not too far away, sure that it was somewhere round here.

            She looked left and right, before finally glancing downwards to see the coral, and her ride.

            Just relax. She told herself, and she took a deep breath. She gently swam into the vortex, and gradually began turning with it.

            She closed her eyes, and began to feel that same tingly sensation of traveling through time. Just when she thought she had left she heard a nearly deafening blast, and she was violently thrown from the swirl.

            She fell down paralyzed, onto the same coral from earlier. As she uselessly tried to cry for help she could see Rascus's face in the vortex, with a sad look.

            When the bubbles finally subsided Melody could see something approaching in the distance, she thought it was a shark. Once it finally got close enough she could see it was a merman, one with scars and ghastly wounds.

            Iniquitious. She laid there so overwhelmed with fear that she could hardly think.

            “You thought I was dead, didn't you?” He inquired rhetorically, mocking Melody's state. “Well, any ordinary merman would have died from those rocks, but then again I'm no ordinary merman.” As he strode closer the side of his face that previously held a scar revealed gross deformities, and his eye on that side was tightly welt shut.

            Melody found out what it was like to gag and not move at the same time.

            “You know none of this would have happened without you.” He was now uncomfortably close to her. “I never would have come back without you, I never would have been discovered without you, I never would have been mutilated like this without you.” He lifted her by the hair. “And I never would have been foiled without you.” He spat right in her face, before dropping her.

            Now he seemed to move away, but not too far. “And I know what you're thinking, 'he's going to kill me now and get some retribution', well you're wrong.” He stopped. “Dead wrong. You see Morgana had this little idea before all this, but I dismissed it as I felt you never did enough harm. But now with nothing left I think I'll be doing this little plan, with what's left of my magic.”

            What plan?

            “I'm gonna sneak into the palace and slay Ariel and Eric's daughter, preventing all of this. But you wouldn't care, cause your name's not really Melody, right?” He taunted her. “I'll finally get to see what it's like to be human.” He laughed before leaving her.

            A tear trickled down her eye.

 

***

 

            Iniquitious stood outside the palace doors, awaiting a response. He'd slain and taken the identity of one of Eric's guards, and disposed of the body.

            He was greeted by the king himself. Fortunately he had not been anywhere near Farside, and thus he had no clue what he looked like.

            “I am Sherman, one of your guards your highness.” He said to Eric as he bowed, keeping most of his face in the shadow beneath his hood.

            “Oh I haven't had the pleasure.” He shook the man's hand. “Did Grimsby appoint you?”

            “Why yes.” He saw the name mentioned as an excuse to enter the castle, better than the one he'd initially planned. “I was just about to speak to him again today.”

            “Oh. Grims is always doing stuff without asking me.” Eric said with a laugh, and he let him through. As this guard passed him the obscured side of his face passed through the light for just a second, making some of his scars visible.

            “I have a skin condition, your highness.” He lied, causing an awkward silence. “Nothing contagious, of course.”

            “Oh okay.” The king replied, and the man turned and left. As Eric went back to his royal duties he had an uneasy feeling about this man. But he dismissed the feeling as silliness.

            Iniquitious strode through the interior of the palace for the very first time with ease. He'd studied the human world a great deal, many years before even Triton sent his blessings to Eric's kingdom and the eighteen years after. This kingdom in particular he had learned much of; to the extent that the layout was of little issue.

            He made his way to the part of the castle where the royal family's rooms were kept, not a person stopping him.

            And who would, given the rank this apparel indicates? After several more doors he finally came up to the staircase that led to the nursery.

            On the other side of the castle Eric was speaking to Grimsby, and he felt the need to bring up the guard he'd seen.

            “Grimsby you honestly need to stop these unsanctioned nominates.” Eric remarked. “This guard I've never seen before in my life just came through the main doors and I had to let him through because he claims you appointed him.”

            “What was this man's name?” Grimsby asked.

            “Sherman.”

            “I thought that fellow was on vacation.” The old man replied. Suddenly the uneasy feeling endured by the young king was multiplied ten times over.

            “Does he have scars on his face?” Eric nervously asked. Grimsby frowned.

            “Why no Eric, the man probably has one of the clearest complexions in the entire kingdom.” With his words Eric tore from his seat and ran from the room.

            “Eric where are you going?”

            Iniquitious opened the door, to see that the child's room barely lit.He made his way to Melody's crib, an innocent bundle wrapped up in the center.

            She may have won the battle, but she will lose the war. Iniquitous reached into his coat to reveal his dagger.

            “For Ursula.” He raised the blade. He would slay the child now, and history would be rewritten in his favor. Just before he brought the blade down a figure in the dark came up behind him, and hit him down with a blunt wooden slab.

            Ariel.

            “You.” He spat.

            “You think for one second I would leave my daughter unguarded?!” She yelled before striking him again. “If there's any one thing Harmony taught me, it's to stand and fight!” She hit him once more, now believing him to be unconscious. She went for his blade to disarm him.

            Just when she had her hand on it he came to.

            “You'll not take my dagger like you stole the trident from Morgana!” He asserted, nearly tearing her wrist before she subsided.

            As he got up she backed away, helpless. He took her weak stance as the opportunity he had been seeking, and he rushed to the crib, diving his blade right into the center of the bundle.

            In silence.

            Confused, he removed the dagger and unwrapped the bundle to see it was just that; a bundle of blankets. When he looked back at where Ariel just was he could see she had already taken off into the next room.

            “Where is the baby?!!” He screamed, and he tore off after her. As he kicked the door open he could see this room was a kitchen despite the darkness, and Ariel had lost her balance for some reason and had fallen onto the floor. She turned to face him.

            “Tell me where she is, and I shall spare you!!” He cried. Her face held an expression of resistance; the very same one she always wore when she used to argue with her father. “Very well.”     He readied his swinging arm and charged towards her, just as she rolled out of the way. Unfortunately for him he learned that the floors were wet too late, and he slipped and tripped into his own dagger.

            Ariel hit the wall hard on her back, oblivious to the pain as her heartbeat dictated all her senses. Just before she began up her gaze caught on Iniquitious, or more specifically the blade protruding from the rear of his torso.

            Is he... gone? She quivered, ready to jump up and run in an instant. After a few moments of unruffled silence she finally realized it was over, and allowed herself to catch her breath. Once she finally started to get up Eric came running into the kitchen.

            “Ariel there's a madman on the loose-” He began until he saw Iniquitious's body.

            “He fell on his own blade,” She filled him in, uneasy at the sight.

            “Sherman?” He asked, confused.

            “No, Iniquitious,” She corrected him, confirming his suspicions.

            “I thought he was dead.”

            “He is now,” She said slowly.

            “What in god's name is going on in here...?” Carlotta walked in with Ariel's daughter in her arms, wincing once her eyes caught sight of Iniquitious.

            “Melody.” Ariel said as Carlotta handed her the child. After she finished her barrage of kisses and hugs she reluctantly turned her gaze back to Iniquitious.

            And that's what became of the great Iniquitious. She thought as she readied an explanation for Carlotta. Just like Ursula.

 

***

 

            Once Melody regained her strength she wouldn't waste a second.

            She hurried to the surface, looking for a person near the shore that could help alert the royal family. Every second of her continued existence was precious, and her heart continued its threats to leap out of her chest.

            She nearly came to the point of passing out just as she saw someone come to the water. She promptly closed in on the individual, to see it was Ariel.

            She hurried even quicker figuring she could avoid the middle man, only to see the infant in her arms.

            “Iniquitious is gone.” Ariel declared triumphantly before the mermaid could spill a warning. Melody's heart settled, but she was still speechless.

            “But how...” Escaped her lips, just as Flounder came popping out of the water near her, making her jump.

            “Melody!” He yelled joyously to the teenager, before realizing his mistake. He then started to pretend the whole statement was aimed at the baby. “Melody, you're safe!” He said with a forced smile.

            “Flounder warned me.” Ariel said past Flounder's goofiness.

            “Yeah! When I saw your room was empty this morning I figured you were headed home, but then I saw you outside the window and I wanted to say goodbye but you swam so fast so I followed you and Iniquitious ambushed you so I hid and listened, and when he gave away his plan I came up here.” He said, pointing to the sand.

            “I get the picture.” Melody said with a smile, finally at peace.

            Except for one last thing...

            “You know I missed it.” She said to him quietly.

            “Missed what?” He asked.

            “My trip home.” She hinted, not sure if it was a curse or a blessing. Flounder let himself go limp, thinking of a solution. He came up with one quicker than he expected.

            “Why don't you talk to Triton about it?” He whispered back.

            “Grandfather?” She said quietly, overwhelmed.

            “Yeah!” She began to say something in opposition to the idea, but stopped.

            “I guess I have no other choice.” She said with a hint of enthusiasm. “But why would he believe it?”

            “We'll find out; I'll go get him!” Flounder said, almost diving back under the water before Melody stopped him.

            “You don't have the locket by chance, do you?” She asked, expecting the worst.

            “Dang it I was right there too.” He said. “I know I know I'm a guppy. I'll make sure to get it when I speak to Triton.” And he sped off. Melody waited there quietly for several minutes, before finally deciding to wade in closer and get her final words in with her mom.

            “Flounder went to run a quick errand, but anyways I...” The redhead gave Melody her undivided attention. “I was wrong. I thought dividing up these two worlds would be a terrible mistake, but who am I to say that after what happened? Your intentions really were for the best Ariel. Take it wherever you want from here, but I trust you'll do the right thing.” Melody said, finally truly appreciating her mother's sacrifice.

            “But Harmony, you showed me what was right.” Melody could not believe what she had heard. This was practically a different Ariel then the one she knew. “You showed me running will only do so much. Triton might go back to the idea, but I won't hear of it.”

            “After everything that's happened...”

            “Listen. When Morgana snatched my baby, I just couldn't bear putting another loved one in jeopardy. I got scared. But I wasn't thinking it all the way through, because I was still scared from Mephisto. My heart belongs to the land, but it also belongs to the sea. There's no way I'll ever cut off the two worlds.” Although she had never personally seen that world, she could see now more than ever the damage it would cause.

            “You know I can't guarantee more evil sorcerers or sea witches won't come and cause more trouble.” Melody admitted.

            “We'll deal with it.” Just after Ariel said that Flounder came up.

            “That was fast.” Melody remarked.

            “He's still weak… Attina wants you to go down there.” He swam to the very front of the wave without being carried onto sand. “Here Ariel.” Flounder finally returned the locket.

            “Thanks Flounder.” Ariel said before kissing him on the nose. As she handed the heirloom to her child she noticed the similar necklace Melody was wearing.

            “I guess this is goodbye.” Melody said, Ariel already aware of her need to go home. Melody turned, and began swimming for a deeper area to dive into.

            “Wait!” Ariel called out. “Will we ever see you again?” With that question Melody looked to her necklace, smiling.

            “I promise.” She began only to stop once more, this time turning around. “Oh, and one last thing. Look before you leap, Mom.” And with that the mermaid dove under the sea, her glimmering red tail disappearing beneath the waves.

            Mom? Ariel wondered, before something in the back of her mind clicked. The necklace, everything about Harmony...

            She turned and walked back to the castle, singing a lullaby to her daughter.

            Goodbye...Melody.

 

***

 

            En route back to Atlantica Melody noticed that Flounder had become very uneasy.

            “What's wrong?” She queried.

            “Nothing.” He replied suddenly.

            “Seriously what is it?”

            “I'm fine.” He tried to emphasize, but Melody could see past his words.

            “Seriously even when everyone got kidnapped last night you looked better than this, now what is it?” They both stopped, and Flounder gave a heavy sigh.

            “When King Triton made Ariel human I was so happy for her, she'd finally gotten what she'd been seeking her entire life. It was perfect. But...” He paused for a moment, choking down a sob. “But...I got lonely when she left. I'd seen Ariel nearly every day of my life since I could barely swim, and not being able to do that anymore...it just...it felt like a part of me had been torn apart.” He moved his gaze to Melody, making eye contact. “You're the closest anyone's ever come to replacing that gap, Melody. I knew you had to go so soon but now that you actually have to...” For another second there was silence, and Melody could feel her heart go out to her old friend that she'd just made.

            “But Flounder, I've done something better,” She said. “I brought Ariel back to you. If Morgana wasn't caught...remember the divider they were ready to put up?” He nodded solemnly. “It happened, at least in my time it did. I didn't know merpeople existed until I was twelve years old.” The sheer extremity of what she'd just said made Flounder feel a little more comfortable. “But because I came here Ariel says she won't hear of it. And I talked to her on the beach, she wants to visit soon. It won't be like their honeymoon or her pregnancy where she can only see you on the surface,”

            “I guess it's not that bad,” He reasoned slowly.

            “And,” Melody's face lit up, “you can still see me. I just can't talk yet,” Flounder smiled and chuckled at the silliness of the statement.

            “Come on,” She said.

            They finally came through the city's gates and into the castle, just outside the throne room.

            “What do I say?” Melody asked Flounder.

            “The truth,” He replied. Once she built up the courage she finally entered Triton's den, and began the conversation.

            “Triton,”

            “Harmony. Flounder,” He greeted them both, and they both bowed.

            “Well I had something I had to talk to you about before I can be on my way,” Melody began.

            “Yes?”

            “Well um...” She bit her lip, trying to think of something to say. “My name's not really Harmony.” She admitted rather quickly, before removing her necklace and opening it.

            “It's not the one I borrowed!” Flounder helped her as she handed it to him. He inspected it with hardly any interest, although he did take notice of its age.

            “I've been meaning to ask you about this.” He commented.

            “I don't actually have the other locket to show you because Flounder finally returned it but-”

            “I don't need to see it.” He said, closing it and returning it to her.

            “What?” She asked.

            “That's why they used your name in the cave.” He said. Suddenly the room grew very quiet, and it took Triton himself to break the silence. “You know I think I knew all along in a way.” He realized. “Given the way Sebastian described your actions last night you sounded a lot like your mother.” She blushed with the accusation; it was not the first time she'd been labeled rebellious. “Melody.”

            “That's not the reason I came here though.” Melody said, preparing her request. “You see Iniquitious didn't actually die last night-”

            “But Ariel stopped him at the castle on land!” Flounder added. “He's done for good now.”

            “Anyways before she did he kinda...trapped me.”

            “And she missed her magic bubble home!” Flounder said, unaware of how silly he sounded.

            “And the reason I came here is because...well I thought you're the only one that could help.”

            “I didn't know wizard fish did that.” He chuckled. “But Iniquitious is stopped?” He asked for reassurance.

            “Of course.” Melody told him. He sighed in such a way Melody was sure she was screwed.

            “Then you're in luck.” Her face lit up.

            “Thank you.” She said while gasping a sigh of relief. “Grandfather.”

            “I guess this is goodbye.” Flounder said, a tear forming in his eye.

            “Remember Flounder,” She pointed upwards. “I'm not going anywhere.” Finally accepting her need to go home Flounder flew into Melody's arms for a goodbye hug, one that she gladly returned.

            “This time you get to visit me.” She giggled, playing with his fins. “And of course give Sebastian my compliments.”

            “He'd never believe it.”

            “Still.”

            “Are you ready?” Triton asked her graciously. She took a deep breath

            “Yes.” She said. “So do you need a year or something...?” He shook his head.

            “The trident already knows.” Deep down the girl marveled at the tool, a powerful instrument whether in the hands of the king or a sea witch. But at the end of the day it stood for what was right.

            And it was her ticket home.

            She gave him some space for the magic to take effect, and Triton engulfed her in a brilliant aura. As always it's effects were pain-free under Triton's guidance, and within seconds she was gone.

            A minute later after Flounder had left Arista came in, with a question.

            “Do you know where Harmony is, daddy? The maids said her room is empty.”

            “She's gone home, dear.”

:: previous chapter :: next chapter :: main page ::

comments powered by Disqus